HERS home energy rating
The HERS Rater will do a comprehensive HERS home energy rating on your home to assess its energy performance. The energy rating will consist of a series of diagnostic tests using specialized equipment, such as a blower door test, duct leakage tester, combustion analyzer and infrared cameras. These tests will determine:
- The amount and location of air leaks in the building envelope
- The amount of leakage from HVAC distribution ducts
- The effectiveness of insulation inside walls and ceilings
- Any existing or potential combustion safety issues
Other variables that are taken into account include:
- Floors over unconditioned spaces (like garages or cellars)
- Attics, foundations and crawlspaces
- Windows and doors, vents and ductwork
- Water heating system and thermostats
Once the tests have been completed, a computerized simulation analysis utilizing RESNET Accredited Rating Software will be used to calculate a rating score on the HERS Index.
How to get a HERS home energy rating
Contact a certified RESNET Home Energy Rater for a comprehensive HERS rating. The national training and certification standards for HERS Raters were created by RESNET, and are recognized by federal government agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), over 150 building code jurisdictions and the U.S. mortgage industry.Find a HERS Rater Now
What is the HERS Index?
The Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index is the INDUSTRY STANDARD by which a home's energy efficiency is measured. It’s also the NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED system for inspecting and calculating a home's energy performance.Learn More